Thursday, August 18, 2011

Restaurant Review: The Fatted Calf

The Fatted Calf... wait... isn't that place closed???  Nope, it is still kickin (but not quite hoppin).

As most of you St. Louisans known, the Fatted Calf was set to close at the end of this past June due to lack of business.  After hearing the news, people in the area, and hundreds of Clayton's business people, showed up at the Fatted Calf in droves.  Some went to fight to save the 40 year old establishment, considered a historic landmark in Clayton.  Others went to say their "goodbyes" and have one last fatted calf burger with soft spread cheddar (we'll call those people pessimists ;-)).  Either way, business dramatically increased, allowing the Fatted Calf to continue past its expiration date.

When my co-workers announced that we'd be going to the Fatted Calf for lunch this week, I have to admit I had mixed feelings.  My first feeling came directly from my stomach.  I instantly started craving a fatted calf burger with a scoop of that yummy soft cheddar spread.  However, my hunger suddenly turned into a confusion of emotions... didn't I already say goodbye? (yes... I'm a pessimist) Why won't the Fatted Calf stop playing with my emotions?!??!  Well... I got over it pretty fast once I walked into the dimmed restaurant, that almost looks like a Swiss barn from the outside, and smelled those yummy burgers.  I'm glad I get another chance!  I wasn't ready to say goodbye last June!

So I ordered the usual... fatted calf burger (which is a 1/3 pound of beef) cooked medium with a soft scoop of sharp cheddar cheese (amazing!) and lettuce and tomatoes.  I usually get an order of steak fries, but I am trying to be good before Jessie's wedding, so I had to forgo those, but I didn't mind, because they do not usually have enough seasoning and I'd have to put a lot of salt on them anyway.


Medium Fatted Calf Burger with soft cheddar spread, lettuce and tomato

The burger came out amazing, nice, juicy and pink in the center.  The soft scoop of cheese melted perfectly onto the burger once I spread it out with a knife.  It was the perfect burger combination with the lettuce and tomato.

One of my co-workers ordered the chicken breast sandwich, which is seasoned with chardonnay, olive oil and herbs.  At first I thought he was crazy for not getting a burger, but he said it was actually really good.  I also heard that Ram's Quarterback Sam Bradford (who literally lives less than 100 yards from my office building in Clayton... that's less than a football field!) had gone to the Fatted Calf, tried the chicken sandwich, and said it was the best chicken sandwich he had ever had.  So if you aren't into burgers, it's definitely a valid option.

Overall, the Fatted Calf is delicious!  The only thing that bothered me was how they charge 75 cents per topping (so $1.50 for lettuce and tomato!) and 15 cents for a cup of tap water!  So my meal was more expensive that it should have been.  However, I can't get over their cheddar spread and it keeps me coming back for more.  (Note, if you are a big fan of soft spread cheddar on burgers, I also recommend Blueberry Hill in the Delmar Loop, because they have it too and they have a better overall atmosphere).  Food for thought though: Fatted Calf delivers in the Clayton area, so this may be something to take advantage of during late work nights. 

So, the ultimate question...is the Fatted Calf saved for good?  My opinion: the burst of business is probably temporary, because even 2 months later it was just as dead as before.  But as my friend Ashley said it best, I probably won't go back until it's the next time to say goodbye ;-) 

1 comment:

  1. Another great soft cheddar burger can be found at Sportsman's Park...looks like we have to go visit another burger place sister!

    ReplyDelete