Monday, August 8, 2011

Jessie v. Food Part 3

I just can't get enough of Man v. Food on the Travel Channel! This past weekend Joe and I had to go on a road trip from St. Louis to Cincinnati for the fabulous wedding of Peter and Laura. Our good friends Jon and Nicole decided to carpool with us and away we went early Friday morning. I mapped out two paths to Cincinnati, the first one being straight through with no planned stops and the second trip stopping at Gray Brothers Cafeteria in Mooresville, Indiana. Luckily everyone agreed to use the second set of directions! 

The front doors!
We arrived around 12:30 and saw we were not the only people who were craving fried chicken and mac n cheese! The place was packed (phew! I'm glad I didn't lead anyone to a real creepy place). The four of us hopped into the very long cafeteria line and grabbed our trays, utensils and napkins.
Me in my fancy road trip attire at the very beginning of the line. It is actually a super long line, kinda hard to tell. Ps: Jon and Nicole are right behind me checking out the desserts!
This place is either really or really not smart as they place all of their mouth-watering desserts at the very front of the line. We were stuck looking at huge pieces of chocolate cake, pies, banana cream pie etc.. for quite a while. We ended up not grabbing anything because we had no idea how large our lunch would be. I think if the desserts were at the very end of the line I would be writing about a delicious piece of chocolate cake I ate, oh well, probably for the best.
Joe took this photo, he has a bit of a sweet tooth!
Once you pass the desserts a lady asks you what you would like to eat. Um, I have no idea what I want to eat! Luckily Joe asked if they had chicken tenders and she said "yes"! Perfect! Joe and I each got a plate of three, huge, lightly fried chicken tenders. After you say what you would like for your main entree you get to move onto the sides where more people ask you what you would like. I opted for a side of mac n cheese and a side of stuffing with brown gravy (you could choose brown or white gravy). I think I was in heaven knowing I could get BOTH mac n cheese and stuffing at one meal....it was like Thanksgiving had come early to me! After you receive your sides you get to pick up a glass of either water, iced tea or diet coke. You finally end up paying. I believe the total for the two of us was $20.50, sweet.
Yum, Yum, Yum!
Once you pay you get to choose where you would like to sit in their HUGE dining room. We grabbed a very large wooden table and started to immediately chow down. Jon ended up getting sliced roast beef with stuffing and mac n cheese (good side choices). Nicole had a large piece of fried chicken with hush puppies and mac n cheese. Joe stuck with the chicken fingers, mac n cheese and a side of green beans (probably the only so-so side dish). A few waitresses are walking around cleaning off tables and also refilling your drinks. The consensus was delicious mac n cheese, stuffing and entrees. I don't think you can really go wrong here!

I would highly recommend Gray Brother's Cafeteria if you are looking for a super filling, comfort food lunch/pit-stop on your drive from St. Louis to Cincinnati. Although be sure you have a strong driver as Nicole and I took a nap quickly after lunch (we blame the stuffing). Thank you once again Adam from Man v. Food for steering us to a great place off the beaten track!

PS: Joe was making big claims that he had been to this cafeteria when he was younger with his family. Joe and I have a tendency to get very very excited when one of us is proven wrong. So, since I get to write this blog and Joe doesn't it seems like you will probably only hear how Joe is wrong. This definitely isn't fair because I am almost always wrong when it comes to arguing with Joe but I guess he can start his own blog to come back at me. Joe called his Dad to confirm he had been to this cafeteria before and was proven WRONG (gasp) as they used to go to a cafeteria in a different city that has since closed. I had to take a photo to capture this memory forever.
Victory is mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment